Dress Code Discrimination in Schools with Dr Rebecca Raby
Professor Rebecca Raby, sociologist and expert on childhood and adolescents has done extensive research on dress codes in school and the very negative and discriminatory impact this has on girls which can affect them for years to come. Rebecca is measured and soft-spoken in her tone but her words are powerful and her message is thought-provoking. Protecting your child from the negative implications of dress code discrimination is an important part of protecting who they are now and ensuring who they will become!
Dr Rebecca Raby Show Notes:
- 01:40 – Why dress codes became an area of focus for Dr Rebecca
- 05:10 – The need for teachers how to properly implement dress codes in a ways that doesn’t degrade women
- 10:08 – Why having a clear set of rules when it comes to dress code is better and why people’s participation is important
- 17:50 – The power that comes with enforcing rules and why teachers are also having trouble upholding dress codes whether they agree or not
- 23:12 – How dress codes for girls impact the boys at school
- 27:48 – Is there even a way to enforce dress code without the possibility of shaming?on
To listen to more podcasts like this one click here
About The Author
Atara Twersky, Author of Curlee Girlee is a TODAY Show Style Icon. Her mission is to teach girls to embrace the beautiful curls they have with power and confidence. Join us as together we change the “coarse” of curly hair. Don’t forget to read our recent article featuring charities that Curlee Girlee loves!
To read Atara’s aricle, published in Thrive Global on Dress Code discrimination, click here!